$250,000 bail set in Liberty Bell bomb threat
CENTER CITY - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man accused of telling security officials at the Liberty Bell he was carrying explosives is being held on a quarter of a million dollars bail.
The suspect is identified as 41-year-old Carlos J. Balsas of Tempe, Arizona.
Balsas is charged with Terroristic Threats, Bomb Threats, Possessing An Instrument of Crime, Recklessly Endangering Another Person and related offenses.
The D.A. said on Monday that Balsas' bail was set at $250,000 and a court appearance was scheduled for February 1st.
According to authorities, at approximately 10:05 a.m. Saturday, Balsas entered the Liberty Bell Center.
A security officer told him that he had to check his bags.
While security was searching the backpack, police say Balsas stated, "I have explosives in there."
He then left the scene.
The security personnel notified the U.S. Park Rangers of the incident and provided a physical description of Balsas.
Balsas was spotted and stopped by Park Rangers on Market Street.
Police say Balsas was uncooperative with the rangers.
After a brief struggle, the rangers were able to handcuff him and take him into custody.
Police shut down the 700 block of Market Street and the bomb squad was called in.
It was determined that the backpack was negative for explosives.
The street was reopened around 11:45 a.m.
philadelphia, center city, bomb scare, local/state
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes 25 min ago
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
45 min ago
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes
25 min ago
- Police investigate armed home invasion in...
13 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos