$250,000 bail set in Liberty Bell bomb threat
CENTER CITY - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man accused of telling security officials at the Liberty Bell he was carrying explosives is being held on a quarter of a million dollars bail.
The suspect is identified as 41-year-old Carlos J. Balsas of Tempe, Arizona.
Balsas is charged with Terroristic Threats, Bomb Threats, Possessing An Instrument of Crime, Recklessly Endangering Another Person and related offenses.
The D.A. said on Monday that Balsas' bail was set at $250,000 and a court appearance was scheduled for February 1st.
According to authorities, at approximately 10:05 a.m. Saturday, Balsas entered the Liberty Bell Center.
A security officer told him that he had to check his bags.
While security was searching the backpack, police say Balsas stated, "I have explosives in there."
He then left the scene.
The security personnel notified the U.S. Park Rangers of the incident and provided a physical description of Balsas.
Balsas was spotted and stopped by Park Rangers on Market Street.
Police say Balsas was uncooperative with the rangers.
After a brief struggle, the rangers were able to handcuff him and take him into custody.
Police shut down the 700 block of Market Street and the bomb squad was called in.
It was determined that the backpack was negative for explosives.
The street was reopened around 11:45 a.m.
philadelphia, center city, bomb scare, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 33 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 41 min ago
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 23 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 31 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
33 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
31 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
23 min ago