$250,000 bail set in Liberty Bell bomb threat
CENTER CITY - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man accused of telling security officials at the Liberty Bell he was carrying explosives is being held on a quarter of a million dollars bail.
The suspect is identified as 41-year-old Carlos J. Balsas of Tempe, Arizona.
Balsas is charged with Terroristic Threats, Bomb Threats, Possessing An Instrument of Crime, Recklessly Endangering Another Person and related offenses.
The D.A. said on Monday that Balsas' bail was set at $250,000 and a court appearance was scheduled for February 1st.
According to authorities, at approximately 10:05 a.m. Saturday, Balsas entered the Liberty Bell Center.
A security officer told him that he had to check his bags.
While security was searching the backpack, police say Balsas stated, "I have explosives in there."
He then left the scene.
The security personnel notified the U.S. Park Rangers of the incident and provided a physical description of Balsas.
Balsas was spotted and stopped by Park Rangers on Market Street.
Police say Balsas was uncooperative with the rangers.
After a brief struggle, the rangers were able to handcuff him and take him into custody.
Police shut down the 700 block of Market Street and the bomb squad was called in.
It was determined that the backpack was negative for explosives.
The street was reopened around 11:45 a.m.
philadelphia, center city, bomb scare, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 14 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for missing Rider University student 53 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 59 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 42 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 43 min ago
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Eva Pilgrim on highway storm preparations
32 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
42 min ago
- Army, Navy teams compete in Rocky Relay
25 min ago