Father struck and killed in Mercer Co., NJ hit-and-run accident
ROBBINSVILLE, N.J. - January 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for a hit-and-run driver who ran down a man in Mercer County, New Jersey and kept going.
It happened just before 6:00 p.m. Sunday. 40-year-old Billy Paskewicz, a well-liked Robbinsville man, was struck and killed in front of a home on Robbinsville Allentown Road.
He was walking up the street to pick up a ferret, a present for his 9-year-old son.
"Billy's crossed the road millions of times," said family friend John Rimmer. "For someone to do what they did with that impact - to just leave the scene of the accident, just leave someone lying there - that's what's so upsetting to my friend Pete."
For Pete Paskewicz, the victim's father, the grief is just overwhelming. He just buried his wife two months ago. Now he is preparing to bury his son.
Neighbor Tom Van Horn heard the accident from his house. He immediately called 911.
"The body was laying about 30 feet beyond the telephone poll," he said. "When I was out there with a flashlight trying to get them to slow down so they wouldn't hit him again, they weren't even slowing down then," he said.
Based on parts left behind at the accident scene, police say they are looking for a 2005 or 2006 metallic blue F-series Ford Super Duty Truck.
Investigators say the truck has some front end damage and is missing a headlight and rear view mirror from the passenger side.
"They know they hit something," said Rimmer, referring to whoever was driving that truck. "[Billy] was thrown quite a way. From the police report, they didn't even hit their breaks."
Family and friends are praying for answers - and for justice.
Police were checking surveillance cameras Monday to see if any in the area picked up the truck. Anyone with information about the accident is asked to call Robbinsville Police at 609-259-3900.
new jersey, mercer county, hit and run, accident, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 39 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act