Police: 1,252 bags of heroin tossed near school
MILLSBORO, Del. - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say they've arrested a man who tossed more than 1,200 bags of heroin near a school during a chase.
That suspect, 22-year-old Derrell Gibbs of Dagsboro, is facing a number of drug charges.
The incident began around 2:30 p.m. Sunday on School Lane near Long Neck Elementary School in Millsboro.
Police say a trooper attempted to stop a Chevy Malibu for a traffic violation.
Then, police say, the driver abruptly stopped in front of the school. Gibbs allegedly got out and began to run away with a plastic bag in his hand.
The driver of the car sped away as the trooper chased Gibbs on foot. Police say Gibbs then threw the plastic bag to the ground near the northwest corner of the school before he was taken into custody.
Police recovered the bag and discovered 1,252 bags of heroin inside, with a total weight of more than 31 grams.
Gibbs has been arraigned and is being held on $81,600 secured bond.
The driver of the Malibu has not been identified and remains at large.
delaware, drugs, school, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish