Police: 1,252 bags of heroin tossed near school
MILLSBORO, Del. - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say they've arrested a man who tossed more than 1,200 bags of heroin near a school during a chase.
That suspect, 22-year-old Derrell Gibbs of Dagsboro, is facing a number of drug charges.
The incident began around 2:30 p.m. Sunday on School Lane near Long Neck Elementary School in Millsboro.
Police say a trooper attempted to stop a Chevy Malibu for a traffic violation.
Then, police say, the driver abruptly stopped in front of the school. Gibbs allegedly got out and began to run away with a plastic bag in his hand.
The driver of the car sped away as the trooper chased Gibbs on foot. Police say Gibbs then threw the plastic bag to the ground near the northwest corner of the school before he was taken into custody.
Police recovered the bag and discovered 1,252 bags of heroin inside, with a total weight of more than 31 grams.
Gibbs has been arraigned and is being held on $81,600 secured bond.
The driver of the Malibu has not been identified and remains at large.
delaware, drugs, school, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ 28 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes 28 min ago
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps 15 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush 39 min ago
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers 43 min ago
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
28 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa....
28 min ago
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
17 min ago
- Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
39 min ago