Doctor killing suspect exposed self on I-95
PHILADELPHIA - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned the man accused of killing a doctor in Center City Philadelphia pleaded guilty to exposing himself during a road rage incident last year.
Jason Smith, 36, of Levittown, was charged last week in the brutal killing of 35-year-old Melissa Ketunuti.
According to police reports, Smith was involved in a road rage incident with a woman on I-95 in Bensalem last March.
During that incident, Smith allegedly exposed himself to that woman.
He was charged with disorderly conduct and pleaded guilty a month later.
Smith was fined $289.
Smith, who was subcontracted as an exterminator but is not licensed, arrived at Ketunuti's home last Monday in the 1700 block of Naudain Street for an appointment.
At some point, Smith allegedly told police the two got into an argument and he felt "belittled." Smith then allegedly strangled, bound and set Ketunuti on fire before leaving for another appointment in New Jersey.
Investigators said surveillance video, which showed both Ketunuti and Smith walking in the same direction, was instrumental in cracking the case.
Detectives say surveillance cameras also captured Smith leaving with his coat off and gloves on, carrying his work bag before his truck was seen circling the block.
Police sources told Action News that Smith confessed to killing Ketunuti.
Smith is being held without bail, Philadelphia police announced Monday.
He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on February 13th.
philadelphia, center city, homicide, fire, body found, local/state
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees