Woman arrested in West Philly tire slashing spree
WEST PHILADELPHIA - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest in connection with a tire slashing spree that damaged 59 vehicles in West Philadelphia.
The Philadelphia District Attorney's Office has charged Aleze Lewis with Criminal Mischief for her involvement in the incident.
She is being held on $280,000 bail, and her next court appearance is scheduled for February 8th.
The tire slashings occurred around 5:30 a.m. on January 7th along the 5300 block of Chancellor Street, and again several blocks away on the 4900 and 5100 blocks of Hazel Avenue.
Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey had announced a $5,000 reward for the arrest and conviction of those responsible, courtesy of the Mayor's office.
An additional $5,000 was being offered by Fraternal Order of Police President John McNesby for the arrest of the person or persons responsible.
As of Monday afternoon, police had not said if anyone was receiving the reward money after the arrest of Lewis.
Surveillance video captured the suspected tire slashers at work. In the video, you can see a man and a woman casually walking down the street, and at one point the man can be seen stooping to quickly puncture two tires on a vehicle.
Ramsey told Action News those responsible would be caught and pay a stiff price.
"This is something very major in my mind because it's something that affects people right in the pocketbook," Ramsey said.
No other arrests have been made.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, vandalism, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 2 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse 57 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 36 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began 40 min ago
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad