Woman arrested in West Philly tire slashing spree
WEST PHILADELPHIA - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest in connection with a tire slashing spree that damaged 59 vehicles in West Philadelphia.
The Philadelphia District Attorney's Office has charged Aleze Lewis with Criminal Mischief for her involvement in the incident.
She is being held on $280,000 bail, and her next court appearance is scheduled for February 8th.
The tire slashings occurred around 5:30 a.m. on January 7th along the 5300 block of Chancellor Street, and again several blocks away on the 4900 and 5100 blocks of Hazel Avenue.
Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey had announced a $5,000 reward for the arrest and conviction of those responsible, courtesy of the Mayor's office.
An additional $5,000 was being offered by Fraternal Order of Police President John McNesby for the arrest of the person or persons responsible.
As of Monday afternoon, police had not said if anyone was receiving the reward money after the arrest of Lewis.
Surveillance video captured the suspected tire slashers at work. In the video, you can see a man and a woman casually walking down the street, and at one point the man can be seen stooping to quickly puncture two tires on a vehicle.
Ramsey told Action News those responsible would be caught and pay a stiff price.
"This is something very major in my mind because it's something that affects people right in the pocketbook," Ramsey said.
No other arrests have been made.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, vandalism, local/state
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars 51 min ago
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 59 min ago