Hostess picks Little Debbie maker as lead bidder for Drake's cakes
NEW YORK (AP) - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hostess has picked the maker of Little Debbie as the lead bidder to buy its Drake's cakes.
According to a filing in U.S. bankruptcy court, McKee Foods has offered $27.5 million in cash for the cake brands, which include Devil Dogs, Funny Bones and Yodels. The fate of Twinkies and other Hostess cakes is still being negotiated with other bidders.
The bid by McKee would set the floor for an auction process that lets competitors make better offers. A judge would have to approve the final sale.
McKee Foods, based in Collegedale, Tenn., makes a variety of snack cakes under the Little Debbie banner that compete with Hostess cakes at a lower price.
Hostess Brands Inc., based in Irving, Texas, announced in November that it was shutting down its business and selling its breads and snack cakes.
Earlier this month, Hostess picked Flowers Foods as the lead bidder for six of its major bread brands, including Wonder.
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 3 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 37 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 45 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
37 min ago