Police chase ends in violent crash in SW Philly
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are looking for the driver of a car who crashed into another vehicle while officers were in pursuit.
The man who police were initially trying to pull over took off on foot and remains on the loose. His car was towed from the scene Tuesday morning, but some of the wreckage from the crash remains at the intersection of 46th Street and Springfield Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia.
Antoine Jones, who lives nearby, tells Action News, "This is amazing. I had no idea it was so big."
Neighbors who live near the scene of the crash surveyed the wreckage left behind. Many woke up to the sound of the booming collision around midnight.
One neighbor explained what he heard, saying, "It was just one great big tremendous roar. Broke down the fire hydrant, knocked down the sign, and I felt the vibration in the house."
Police say officers had tried to pull over a vehicle, when the driver took off, and police followed. The chase was brief, and ended when the suspect's car crashed into another car belonging to an innocent driver.
Several parked cars were hit in the process.
At least one person in the other vehicle was injured. The extent of their injuries are unknown at this time.
police chase, accident, southwest philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 13 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 7 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 5 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 25 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
7 min ago