Bow and arrow murder suspect arraigned
BERLIN, N.J. - January 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man accused of using a bow and arrow in a South Jersey murder went before a judge Wednesday.
25-year-old Timothy Canfield was arraigned in Camden this afternoon.
His lawyer says Canfield killed 25-year-old Kareti Paulsen late Monday night in self defense.
They claim Paulsen threatened to stab people in Canfield's Berlin home with an HIV infected needle.
The incident occurred shortly before 11:00 p.m. Monday on Brill Avenue in Berlin Borough.
The prosecutor's office said Canfield fired an arrow and hit Paulsen, killing him.
Investigators say Paulsen got into a fistfight with another resident of the Brill Avenue home at some point between 10 p.m. and 10:45 p.m.
That fight broke up and Paulsen remained outside, the prosecutor's office said.
It was at that point, investigators say, that Canfield - who was not involved in the fight - allegedly went outside carrying a compound bow and a quiver of arrows.
Then, investigators say, Canfield shot Paulsen in the stomach with one of the arrows fired from his bow.
Paulsen, from Cape May Courthouse, staggered a short distance and collapsed.
The arrow severed a large artery, investigators said, and Paulsen died from the wound at Virtua Voorhees Hospital.
Neighbors heard the commotion and called 911.
"I just heard a bit of arguing and that was it. Then about 10 minutes later, I heard somebody shouting for help," neighbor Joe Cassise said.
Authorities say Canfield admitted to dumping the bow and arrows in a wooded area in nearby Winslow.
Canfield is being held on $800,000 cash bail.
camden county, shooting, new jersey, local/state
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 17 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man gunned down at water ice stand 27 min ago
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia 25 min ago
- Bicyclist shoots young man in face in Southwest Philadelphia 17 min ago
- Man shot in the head in Camden; suspect sought 23 min ago
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Man gunned down at water ice stand
27 min ago