Bow and arrow murder suspect arraigned
BERLIN, N.J. - January 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man accused of using a bow and arrow in a South Jersey murder went before a judge Wednesday.
25-year-old Timothy Canfield was arraigned in Camden this afternoon.
His lawyer says Canfield killed 25-year-old Kareti Paulsen late Monday night in self defense.
They claim Paulsen threatened to stab people in Canfield's Berlin home with an HIV infected needle.
The incident occurred shortly before 11:00 p.m. Monday on Brill Avenue in Berlin Borough.
The prosecutor's office said Canfield fired an arrow and hit Paulsen, killing him.
Investigators say Paulsen got into a fistfight with another resident of the Brill Avenue home at some point between 10 p.m. and 10:45 p.m.
That fight broke up and Paulsen remained outside, the prosecutor's office said.
It was at that point, investigators say, that Canfield - who was not involved in the fight - allegedly went outside carrying a compound bow and a quiver of arrows.
Then, investigators say, Canfield shot Paulsen in the stomach with one of the arrows fired from his bow.
Paulsen, from Cape May Courthouse, staggered a short distance and collapsed.
The arrow severed a large artery, investigators said, and Paulsen died from the wound at Virtua Voorhees Hospital.
Neighbors heard the commotion and called 911.
"I just heard a bit of arguing and that was it. Then about 10 minutes later, I heard somebody shouting for help," neighbor Joe Cassise said.
Authorities say Canfield admitted to dumping the bow and arrows in a wooded area in nearby Winslow.
Canfield is being held on $800,000 cash bail.
camden county, shooting, new jersey, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose