4 workers injured in Hunting Park building collapse (PHOTOS)
HUNTING PARK - January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- It only took five seconds for the roof to come crashing down on the soon to be new Philadelphia Police SVU building in Hunting Park.
In an Action News exclusive, surveillance video shows workers roaming around the site at 300 Hunting Park Avenue when the roof collapsed.
Reverend Carlos Diaz was in his church office at Faith Tabernacle Assembly across the street around 1:00 p.m. when he heard the noise.
"First of all, I thought, 'I hope no one was hurt,' main thing. I know there were a lot of crew people walking back and forth," Reverend Diaz said.
Four men crawled out of the rubble, including an 84-year-old construction worker - a man described as extremely fit who only suffered a few bumps and bruises.
Of the four who were hurt, two were taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center and the other two were taken to Temple University Hospital.
OSHA and L&I were on the scene investigating.
They spent the evening questioning workers with the Conshohocken contractor Axis Construction Management.
Mayor Michael Nutter and the city broke ground on this facility in August.
With a renovated warehouse and new addition, the 40,000 square foot building will be the new home of SVU and house staff from DHS, the Children's Alliance, and the District Attorney's Office.
It's an effort to better help sex abuse victims. It's an effort that will most likely be delayed, disappointing Reverend Diaz whose church wants to assist the new facility.
"If they need a caring grandmother or mother we can provide that, or just a place where they can come over and maybe like an oasis to be there," Diaz said.
Action News has tried contacting Axis Construction, but we have yet to hear a response.
The city says the company hasn't had any problems at this site since it started construction in October.
philadelphia, hunting park, building collapse, local/state
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing 21 min ago
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church 24 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies 33 min ago
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE 59 min ago
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7 53 min ago
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown...
24 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings...
33 min ago