Arrest made in Mercer Co. fatal hit-and-run
ROBBINSVILLE, N.J. - January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest in a Mercer County hit-and-run that left a man dead.
On Tuesday afternoon, authorities announced they had located the suspect's vehicle, as well as the male driver. He is identified as 67-year-old Robert Cheney of Robbinsville, New Jersey.
Cheney has been charged with death by auto and leaving the scene of a fatal accident and is currently being held on $100,000 bail.
The accident happened just before 6:00 p.m. Sunday.
40-year-old Billy Paskewicz of Robbinsville was struck and killed in front of a home on Robbinsville Allentown Road.
He was walking up the street to pick up a ferret - a present for his 9-year-old son.
"Billy's crossed the road millions of times," said family friend John Rimmer. "For someone to do what they did with that impact - to just leave the scene of the accident, just leave someone lying there - that's what's so upsetting to my friend Pete."
For Pete Paskewicz, the victim's father, the grief is just overwhelming. He just buried his wife two months ago. Now he is preparing to bury his son.
Neighbor Tom Van Horn heard the accident from his house. He immediately called 911.
"The body was laying about 30 feet beyond the telephone pole," he said. "When I was out there with a flashlight trying to get them to slow down so they wouldn't hit him again, they weren't even slowing down then," he said.
new jersey, mercer county, hit and run, accident, local/state
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete 39 min ago
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall 32 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Butkovitz an early winner as Pa. primary ballots are tallied 9 min ago
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say 36 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep 1 min ago
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens 4 min ago
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly...
39 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor...
12 min ago
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend,...
36 min ago