Documentary film shows ex-cons re-entering society in Phila.
PHILADELPHIA - January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- The U.S. Attorney's Office teamed up with an ex-con who had an idea to help recently released prisoners stay out of jail.
That idea was a documentary that is premiering Tuesday night at the National Constitution Center.
The documentary is called "Pull of Gravity." The U.S. Department of Justice is backing it through a grant. Their partner is ex-con-turned-director El Sawyer.
"I was convicted of aggravated assault and sentenced to 8-20 years," he told Action News.
So who better to direct a film about re-integrating released inmates back into Philadelphia society?
With co -director Jon Kaufman, Sawyer followed three men over the course of a year who were making the transition from prison back to society.
"They need to see people coming home. It's not a scary endeavor," said Robert Reed of the U.S. Attorney's office. "Most people in my office don't appreciate how truly difficult prison is."
Reed and U.S. Attorney Zane Memeger call the documentary an eye-opener for both their office and for the public.
"People can start thinking about these issues and start working towards a common solution that will help reduce crime," said Memeger, "because we're not going to be able to arrest our way out of the problem."
The film shows successes and failures. Sawyer, now out ten years, hopes his success can serve as a role model for others, something he never had.
"It's not easy, it's hard," he says. "But there are joyful moments, and it's possible."
philadelphia, movies, national constitution center, independence mall, local/state, annie mccormick
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay 12 min ago
- Wintry Weekend 38 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft 42 min ago
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man 59 min ago
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire 34 min ago
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet 43 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million 44 min ago
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Wintry Weekend
38 min ago