Kid turns in Dad, stepmother for growing pot
January 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- In Bucks County, a father is behind bars right now and his wife is on probation after their son turned them in for growing pot.
It was several months ago when the Doylestown Township Police Department received a tip call from a local teenager about an illegal indoor marijuana garden developed by 50-year-old Francis Medvedik.
It was an operation complete with 18 marijuana plants, grow lights, fans, and other hydroponics equipment. The person who called police was Medvedik's own 15-year-old son.
Action News knocked on the family's door but nobody was home. Some of Medvedik's neighbors say it took extraordinary courage for that teenager to do what he did.
Meantime, the tipster's step-mother, Caren Shanfeld, was also arrested on charges including Endangering the Welfare of Children.
During a court hearing last week, Medvedik told the judge that his wife supported him because he was not selling the marijuana, he was using it himself for medical reasons.
pennsylvania, doylestown, bucks county, illegal drugs, marijuana, 6at4, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm 34 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice 53 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds 45 min ago
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants 43 min ago
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada 42 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
34 min ago