Victims ID'd in deadly New Jersey Turnpike crash
MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. - January 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- One person is dead after a box truck crashed into a guardrail, rolled and burst into flames in extremely foggy conditions early Wednesday morning.
The crash happened around 2:00 a.m. in the southbound lanes of the New Jersey Turnpike in Mount Holly, Burlington County, just north of Exit 5.
The inital investigation showed that the 2007 Freightliner box truck was traveling south in the right lane when the driver lost control, slammed the right guard rail, and flipped on its right side.
The truck kept moving forward, struck the support column of an overpass and flipped back on its left side, before bursting into flames.
Police say the truck was fully engulfed when emergency crews arrived.
The driver, identified as 67-year-old Joseph Gaudio of North Carolina, was able to safely exit the truck. He told a New Jersey State Trooper that his wife was still inside, in the passenger compartment of the truck.
67-year-old Glenda Gaudio was later pronounced dead at the scene.
Joseph Gaudio was taken to Mount Holly Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
Police continue to investigate. They would not say if thick fog in the area contributed to the crash.
Engineers were checking the overpass hit by the truck for structural damage.
Commuters were advised to expect lane closures throughout the morning. Oxmead Road was closed between Bromley and Burrs Roads as crews worked to clear the scene.
accident, fire, norristown, new jersey, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack 46 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 32 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 48 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos