Victims ID'd in deadly New Jersey Turnpike crash
MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. - January 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- One person is dead after a box truck crashed into a guardrail, rolled and burst into flames in extremely foggy conditions early Wednesday morning.
The crash happened around 2:00 a.m. in the southbound lanes of the New Jersey Turnpike in Mount Holly, Burlington County, just north of Exit 5.
The inital investigation showed that the 2007 Freightliner box truck was traveling south in the right lane when the driver lost control, slammed the right guard rail, and flipped on its right side.
The truck kept moving forward, struck the support column of an overpass and flipped back on its left side, before bursting into flames.
Police say the truck was fully engulfed when emergency crews arrived.
The driver, identified as 67-year-old Joseph Gaudio of North Carolina, was able to safely exit the truck. He told a New Jersey State Trooper that his wife was still inside, in the passenger compartment of the truck.
67-year-old Glenda Gaudio was later pronounced dead at the scene.
Joseph Gaudio was taken to Mount Holly Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
Police continue to investigate. They would not say if thick fog in the area contributed to the crash.
Engineers were checking the overpass hit by the truck for structural damage.
Commuters were advised to expect lane closures throughout the morning. Oxmead Road was closed between Bromley and Burrs Roads as crews worked to clear the scene.
accident, fire, norristown, new jersey, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk 55 min ago
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street 56 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- South Street area restaurants damaged, burglarized
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)