Operation 6abc Save a Life campaign kicks off 21st year
PHILADELPHIA - January 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Action News is teaming up again with firefighters from across the Delaware Valley in an effort to prevent fire deaths in our area.
The 21st annual Operation 6abc Save a Life campaign kicked off Thursday morning at the Philadelphia Fire Academy.
Representatives from over 170 fire companies across the tri-state area lined up to get free smoke alarms.
6abc's Karen Rogers is hosted the event and 6abc General Manager Bernie Prazenica also attended.
Kidde donated almost 7,200 smoke alarms that will all be passed out to residents in our area.
Kidde, Home Depot and Toyota are all sponsors of the annual station event.
Operation 6abc Save a Life has handed out nearly half a million smoke alarms to people in need.
Fire officials say having a working smoke detector in a home saves lives.
"Fire spreads quickly, but what a smoke detector does is help you be alerted in the early stages of a fire so that you do have time to get out. You have time to help your family get out, and hopefully you have an escape plan so that everyone gets out safely to a meeting place," explains Chief Derrick Sawyer.
The smoke alarms that are given out are sealed and are good for 10 years.
Fire officials say they hope Thursday's event sparks people to have a conversation about what they should do if a fire breaks out on their home.
Now in its 21st year, Operation 6abc: Save A Life is a collaborative effort between 6abc, Delaware Valley firefighters and local sponsors. More than 130 fire departments in the Delaware Valley will receive the donations. The local fire departments will install the new smoke alarms in homes of low income, elderly, and other residents at risk in their respective communities. Philadelphia residents can call the Smoke Alarm Hotline at 215-686-1176 for installation help. Residents outside of Philadelphia should contact their local fire station.
fire, philadelphia fire department, 6abc, philadelphia, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 22 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses 6 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 15 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed 23 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious...
22 min ago