Gov. Tom Corbett's son-in-law under investigation
PHILADELPHIA - January 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- The son-in-law of Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett has been placed on administrative duties after being the target of a corruption probe.
Sources tell Action News Gerald Gibson will soon be charged after he was caught in a sting Thursday.
Sources say it was a sting aimed at Gibson.
Philadelphia Police Internal Affairs had complaints that Gibson, a narcotics field unit officer, was stealing money and property during investigations.
The FBI was brought in for its surveillance technology and support.
According to law enforcement sources Gibson was instructed to conduct a search warrant on a vehicle.
What he didn't know was "marked money" was inside.
Source say FBI surveillance cameras caught Gibson skimming $140 cash from the vehicle.
Officers and agents moved in and allegedly found marked bills on him.
Governor Corbett had no comment when Action News tried to question him during an event for the Chamber of Commerce tonight, but he released this statement later:
"I was surprised and concerned to learn about the allegations regarding my son-in-law Gerald Gibson. Susan and I continue to give our family our love and support."
Gibson is married to the Governor's daughter Kate, who once worked in the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office and currently is narcotics prosecutor in the State Attorney General's Office.
Sources say the two have been separated for several months.
Action News went to the couple's Northeast Philadelphia home.
A woman who identified herself as Gibson's daughter said, "No comment."
As of Thursday night, Gibson has not been charged with a crime.
Internal Affairs and the district attorney's office are handling the case at this time.
philadelphia, gov. tom corbett, local/state
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl awaiting transplant 18-months later 5 min ago
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Woman hospitalized in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore