Officer attacked while arresting DUI suspect
ELSMERE, Del. - January 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Elsmere police officer was injured trying to make an arrest in Delaware.
Police say around 7:30 p.m. Thursday the officer pulled over a suspected drunk driver at Route 2 and Nathan Avenue in Elsmere, Delaware.
That's when the suspect 39-year-old Julio E. Lara-Garcia allegedly began attacking the officer.
The officer called for backup and police were able to subdue Garcia.
Both the officer and the suspect were treated and released from Christiana Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
Garcia was later arrested for assault, resisting arrest and DUI charges are pending.
delaware, new castle county, assault, police, DUI, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs