Officer attacked while arresting DUI suspect
ELSMERE, Del. - January 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Elsmere police officer was injured trying to make an arrest in Delaware.
Police say around 7:30 p.m. Thursday the officer pulled over a suspected drunk driver at Route 2 and Nathan Avenue in Elsmere, Delaware.
That's when the suspect 39-year-old Julio E. Lara-Garcia allegedly began attacking the officer.
The officer called for backup and police were able to subdue Garcia.
Both the officer and the suspect were treated and released from Christiana Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
Garcia was later arrested for assault, resisting arrest and DUI charges are pending.
delaware, new castle county, assault, police, DUI, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused sex with student 23 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 15 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar