Firefighters battle church blaze in Point Breeze
POINT BREEZE - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Fire crews were on the scene of a church blaze in the Point Breeze section of Philadelphia Friday morning.
The fire broke out around 5:00 a.m. at the Saint Mary Holiness Church at 17th and Manton Streets.
Crews arrived to find heavy flames coming from the first floor. It took less than two hours for them to get the upper hand.
There were no immediate reports of injuries.
Officials say the fire appears to have started in the basement. The church had not been used recently.
Investigators are working to determine what sparked the blaze.
fire, point breeze, philadelphia, local/state
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 27 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 8 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash 52 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 44 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ