Del. school officials: No truth to gun rumor
NEWARK, Del. - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials at a middle school in Newark, Delaware say there does not appear to be any truth to a spreading rumor about a student with a gun.
Parents began showing up to pick up their children at Kirk Middle School on Friday after messages started spreading via social media.
One parent told Action News that her daughter sent her a text message saying a student had a gun in the school.
Christina School District spokesperson Wendy Lapham says the district is aware of the information being circulated and says the school resource officer, who is a Delaware State Police Officer, was alerted
Lapham said the officer 'investigated thoroughly ' and found no truth to the information.
Letters will be sent home with students regarding the investigation.
delaware, new castle county, school, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis 18 min ago
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea 24 min ago
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 16 min ago
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 2 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm