Del. school officials: No truth to gun rumor
NEWARK, Del. - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials at a middle school in Newark, Delaware say there does not appear to be any truth to a spreading rumor about a student with a gun.
Parents began showing up to pick up their children at Kirk Middle School on Friday after messages started spreading via social media.
One parent told Action News that her daughter sent her a text message saying a student had a gun in the school.
Christina School District spokesperson Wendy Lapham says the district is aware of the information being circulated and says the school resource officer, who is a Delaware State Police Officer, was alerted
Lapham said the officer 'investigated thoroughly ' and found no truth to the information.
Letters will be sent home with students regarding the investigation.
delaware, new castle county, school, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 12 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 59 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 45 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 51 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply