New Englander wins Philly's Wing Bowl 21
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A competitor from New England came to town and won WIP'S Wing Bowl 21 at the Wells Fargo Center in South Philadelphia on Friday.
The speed-eating spectacle began bright and early before a crowd of 20,000 at the Wells Fargo Center, and even included a guest appearance by new Eagles coach Chip Kelly.
Jamie "The Bear" McDonald, of Connecticut, downed 287 wings, winning by a margin of just five. For his effort, McDonald took home prizes of $20,000 in cash along with a $7,500 ring from Steven Singer.
"For me it's about the glory of the Wing Bowl. I did fight for New England and my fellow Navy vets. I had to take it," McDonald said.
The local crowd wasn't happy, however, as a chorus of boos rained down on the out-of-towner.
In the local category, Dave "U.S. Male" Goldstein, from Voorhees, New Jersey, edged out three-time champ Jonathan "Super Squibb" Squibb.
"He's a three-time champion, you've got to give him respect," said Goldstein.
As for the wingettes, they cheered and coaxed the eaters throughout the competition. The Wingette of the Year, Alexander Warner, even rode home on a Harley.
"I did win the Harley! I'm so excited!" Warner said.
Even before the smell of chicken wings had left the Wells Fargo Center, the victor has already promised to come back next year and defend his title.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, wing bowl, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 5 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 57 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 56 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
7 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
57 min ago