Pa. mortician facing charges for abusing corpses
CONESTOGA, Pa. (AP) - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania funeral home director is charged with multiple counts of theft by deception and abuse of a corpse after investigators say they found decomposing bodies during a search of the business.
Officials in Lancaster County announced the charges Friday against 41-year-old Benjamin Siar, owner of Gundel Funeral Home in Conestoga.
There is a warrant for his arrest and authorities are urging him to surrender.
District Attorney Craig Stedman said several families paid Siar thousands of dollars for cremation services that weren't provided.
Stedman says police conducted a search at the funeral home Thursday and found four decomposing bodies, including that of a 2-year-old girl police say was beaten to death earlier this year.
Stedman says more charges will be filed as the investigation continues.
pennsylvania, lancaster county, local/state
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Turning Milder 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee 20 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 32 min ago
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 28 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks...
28 min ago
- Water pressure problems plague Trenton
54 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos