PennDOT keeping an eye on snow covered roads
BERWYN, Pa. - February 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- With snow starting to fall in parts of the region, it's all about the roads and PennDOT crews are taking precaution to be well prepared.
With snow starting to fall in parts of the region, it's all about the roads and PennDOT crews are making sure things run smoothly.
Drivers had mixed reactions about dealing with another winter blast Saturday night.
"I'm ready for Spring man, I'm cold. I'm sick of this snow and all of that, I'm ready for Spring," said Dom Walker.
"I love it absolutely, the colder the better," said Kate Meredith.
It was just a coating for some but up to two or three inches for others.
"It's something you get used to around here," said one resident.
However the main focus, as always , was on the highways and byways. PennDOT went to work on slick roads like the Route 30 Bypass in Chester County.
"They're not too bad, not at all. They're drivable and people are just taking their time," said Kia Mills.
"I was a little nervous because the roads were white as you get further out of here but it's fine. PenndDOT is out salting so it's actually pretty good," said Jim Franklin.
The PennDOT shed in Downington was getting trucks stocked and loaded hours before the system moved in.
The transportation agency says it had more than 230 trucks in its arsenal spreading salt in several Delaware Valley counties.
"A dusting, as cold as the roadways are now, will stick to that and they can glare over and ice right up. That's why we're out here," said Bob Kennedy, PennDOT.
PennDOT says it crews will continue salting through the night.
Officials say even in places where there isn't much snow, exercise extreme caution on the roadways.
snow, severe weather, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ