Schoolyard slay survivor to testify at civil trial
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - February 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- The survivor of an attack in Newark that killed three college-aged friends is expected to testify in a lawsuit filed by the victims' parents.
A jury has heard testimony this month in the suit filed by the parents of Iofemi Hightower, Dashon Harvey and Terrance Aeriel. The three friends and the survivor had attended or were considering attending Delaware State University when they were slain behind Newark's Mount Vernon School in August 2007.
The killings prompted a host of anti-crime measures in Newark. The Associated Press isn't naming the survivor because of sexual assault charges against two defendants.
The families' lawsuit claims the school district was negligent for leaving the schoolyard gates open at night when it was a known gang hangout.
All six defendants are serving prison terms.
trial, teens, homicide, new jersey, local/state
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 17 min ago
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 1 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 20 min ago
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
1 min ago