Schoolyard slay survivor to testify at civil trial
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - February 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- The survivor of an attack in Newark that killed three college-aged friends is expected to testify in a lawsuit filed by the victims' parents.
A jury has heard testimony this month in the suit filed by the parents of Iofemi Hightower, Dashon Harvey and Terrance Aeriel. The three friends and the survivor had attended or were considering attending Delaware State University when they were slain behind Newark's Mount Vernon School in August 2007.
The killings prompted a host of anti-crime measures in Newark. The Associated Press isn't naming the survivor because of sexual assault charges against two defendants.
The families' lawsuit claims the school district was negligent for leaving the schoolyard gates open at night when it was a known gang hangout.
All six defendants are serving prison terms.
trial, teens, homicide, new jersey, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos