Schoolyard slay survivor to testify at civil trial
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - February 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- The survivor of an attack in Newark that killed three college-aged friends is expected to testify in a lawsuit filed by the victims' parents.
A jury has heard testimony this month in the suit filed by the parents of Iofemi Hightower, Dashon Harvey and Terrance Aeriel. The three friends and the survivor had attended or were considering attending Delaware State University when they were slain behind Newark's Mount Vernon School in August 2007.
The killings prompted a host of anti-crime measures in Newark. The Associated Press isn't naming the survivor because of sexual assault charges against two defendants.
The families' lawsuit claims the school district was negligent for leaving the schoolyard gates open at night when it was a known gang hangout.
All six defendants are serving prison terms.
trial, teens, homicide, new jersey, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases