Broad Street Run lottery closes Friday
PHILADELPHIA - February 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The registration lottery for the 2013 Blue Cross Broad Street Run will close on Friday night.
The lottery will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, February 15th.
It is the first time a lottery system has been used in the history of the race, which last year attracted 40,000 runners.
In a statement on the race website, organizers explained why the first-come, first-served system of previous years is being replaced with a lottery:
"Under the first-come, first-served system the race was filling up faster and faster each year. In 2012, the race closed in five hours. The first-come, first-served basis discriminated against individuals who could not access their computers from work. In addition, due to the volume of traffic, most people experienced system issues which caused people to be uncertain if their entry had been accepted or not."
For more information: visit the website of the Blue Cross Broad Street Run.
philadelphia, broad street run, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 59 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
59 min ago