Broad Street Run lottery closes Friday
PHILADELPHIA - February 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The registration lottery for the 2013 Blue Cross Broad Street Run will close on Friday night.
The lottery will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, February 15th.
It is the first time a lottery system has been used in the history of the race, which last year attracted 40,000 runners.
In a statement on the race website, organizers explained why the first-come, first-served system of previous years is being replaced with a lottery:
"Under the first-come, first-served system the race was filling up faster and faster each year. In 2012, the race closed in five hours. The first-come, first-served basis discriminated against individuals who could not access their computers from work. In addition, due to the volume of traffic, most people experienced system issues which caused people to be uncertain if their entry had been accepted or not."
For more information: visit the website of the Blue Cross Broad Street Run.
philadelphia, broad street run, local/state
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 19 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 18 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
19 min ago