Broad Street Run lottery closes Friday
PHILADELPHIA - February 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The registration lottery for the 2013 Blue Cross Broad Street Run will close on Friday night.
The lottery will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, February 15th.
It is the first time a lottery system has been used in the history of the race, which last year attracted 40,000 runners.
In a statement on the race website, organizers explained why the first-come, first-served system of previous years is being replaced with a lottery:
"Under the first-come, first-served system the race was filling up faster and faster each year. In 2012, the race closed in five hours. The first-come, first-served basis discriminated against individuals who could not access their computers from work. In addition, due to the volume of traffic, most people experienced system issues which caused people to be uncertain if their entry had been accepted or not."
For more information: visit the website of the Blue Cross Broad Street Run.
philadelphia, broad street run, local/state
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub 8 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Macklemore, Lamar muscle into Grammy picture
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
8 min ago