Police sergeant injured at Montco shooting range
Tuesday, February 05, 2013
HATFIELD, Pa. - February 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A police sergeant was injured Tuesday after his weapon accidentally discharged at a Montgomery County shooting range.
It happened at 10:45 a.m.Police say Upper Gwynedd Township Police Sergeant Stephen Gillen was conducting an annual firearms training session at the police firing range at 304 County Line Road in Hatfield, Pa. under the supervision of two certified range instructors. They say Gillen, a 23-year veteran of the department, was removing his firearm from its holster when the weapon went off. A bullet struck Gillen in the left foot. Fellow officers administered first aid, and medics from the Volunteer Medical Corps took Gillen to Abington Memorial Hospital. A police investigation is underway.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
montgomery county, pennsylvania, guns, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
6abc.com News Links