SUV crashes, nearly hits plane at Phila. Int'l Airport
PHILADELPHIA - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a woman crashed her vehicle through a fence at Philadelphia International Airport overnight, and very nearly smashed into an airliner.
The accident happened just before 2:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Investigators say the small white SUV crashed through a fence surrounding the US Airways maintenance facility near Tinicum Island Way and Scott Way.
The SUV hurtled past the fence and stopped within five feet of a docked Airbus.
Police converged on the lot shortly after the call came in. They found the driver unharmed. It was not immediately clear what caused her to lose control.
Authorities said it does not appear the woman was intoxicated or crashed through the fence intentionally.
No one else was in the SUV. The driver was not taken to the hospital.
The incident remains under investigation.
accident, philadelphia international airport, south philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Teen injured in Willingboro hit, run 25 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant 49 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos