SUV crashes, nearly hits plane at Phila. Int'l Airport
PHILADELPHIA - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a woman crashed her vehicle through a fence at Philadelphia International Airport overnight, and very nearly smashed into an airliner.
The accident happened just before 2:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Investigators say the small white SUV crashed through a fence surrounding the US Airways maintenance facility near Tinicum Island Way and Scott Way.
The SUV hurtled past the fence and stopped within five feet of a docked Airbus.
Police converged on the lot shortly after the call came in. They found the driver unharmed. It was not immediately clear what caused her to lose control.
Authorities said it does not appear the woman was intoxicated or crashed through the fence intentionally.
No one else was in the SUV. The driver was not taken to the hospital.
The incident remains under investigation.
accident, philadelphia international airport, south philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 4 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 20 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 25 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 31 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 49 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 40 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 49 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
20 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
25 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
41 min ago