Driver charged in crash that killed mom, daughter in Merchantville
MERCHANTVILLE, N.J. - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Pennsauken man has been charged in connection with a high-speed crash in Merchantville, New Jersey, that killed a mother and daughter.
Keith Johnson, 31, was charged on Wednesday with two counts of Death by Auto and a count of Aggravated Assault.
Johnson is still being treated at Cooper University Hospital in Camden, recovering from injuries sustained in the crash, but will be taken into custody upon his release.
Anada Medina, 36, and Stephanie Garcia, 18, both of Cherry Hill, were killed in the crash on the afternoon of January 31st.
It happened at 3:40 p.m. at Chapel Avenue and Russell Avenue, right in front of the Merchantville Elementary School.
According to investigators, the mother and daughter were in a Honda Odyssey minivan when the vehicle was hit head-on by a Dodge Durango.
The Durango, driven by Johnson, was allegedly travelling up to 100 mph in a 25 mph zone, the prosecutor's office said.
Police say he skipped a traffic circle entirely and drove directly into oncoming traffic.
A female passenger in Johnson's vehicle was also hospitalized following the wreck.
The prosecutor's office said an investigation into the crash is ongoing and authorities are awaiting the results of blood and urine tests from Johnson, among other evidence. Further charges are being considered.
new jersey, camden county, accident, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 14 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia