Mansfield Twp. wants 2,400 vehicles gone
MANSFIELD TWP., N.J. - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Mansfield Township officials have told a company that's been storing 2,400 cars, trucks, and even some boats damaged in Superstorm Sandy to - get them out of here!
Right now, they're filling up a 38 acre lot just off interstate 295 waiting to be appraised and resold.
"It's not zoned for it and it looks like a junkyard and this is sort of one of the gateways into our community and people have to pass it and it's not right," Mansfield Township Mayor Arthur Puglia said.
A trailer manufacturer called Vanco is leasing the lot to a Texas company that auctions off salvaged cars.
The vehicles started piling up back in November and at one point there were 3,500 cars stored at this location.
"It would have been a nice courtesy if they had contacted us and said 'hey, we're doing this as part of the relief effort, what can we do to work with the town,' but we got nothing," Mansfield Zoning Officer Robin Bucchi said.
After Mansfield issued a cease and desist order last month, Vanco asked for a temporary variance to allow the lot to be used for outdoor storage, but the zoning board responded with a unanimous no.
A lot of locals are glad about that.
"It looks like a big junkyard with all those cars," resident Gail Kidd said.
"It looks terrible and it looks if they don't do something now they'll be there forever. It'll just be another place where they dump cars," resident Kathleen Kelly said.
"It ain't bothering me, but it's bothering other people. It is an eyesore when you come off 295," resident Bill Kidd said.
Efforts to contact Vanco and its attorneys were unsuccessful.
They've been given 30 days to clear the lot or they could face fines of $500 a day.
new jersey, hurricane sandy, burlington county, local/state, nora muchanic
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 1 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 27 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom