Mansfield Twp. wants 2,400 vehicles gone
MANSFIELD TWP., N.J. - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Mansfield Township officials have told a company that's been storing 2,400 cars, trucks, and even some boats damaged in Superstorm Sandy to - get them out of here!
Right now, they're filling up a 38 acre lot just off interstate 295 waiting to be appraised and resold.
"It's not zoned for it and it looks like a junkyard and this is sort of one of the gateways into our community and people have to pass it and it's not right," Mansfield Township Mayor Arthur Puglia said.
A trailer manufacturer called Vanco is leasing the lot to a Texas company that auctions off salvaged cars.
The vehicles started piling up back in November and at one point there were 3,500 cars stored at this location.
"It would have been a nice courtesy if they had contacted us and said 'hey, we're doing this as part of the relief effort, what can we do to work with the town,' but we got nothing," Mansfield Zoning Officer Robin Bucchi said.
After Mansfield issued a cease and desist order last month, Vanco asked for a temporary variance to allow the lot to be used for outdoor storage, but the zoning board responded with a unanimous no.
A lot of locals are glad about that.
"It looks like a big junkyard with all those cars," resident Gail Kidd said.
"It looks terrible and it looks if they don't do something now they'll be there forever. It'll just be another place where they dump cars," resident Kathleen Kelly said.
"It ain't bothering me, but it's bothering other people. It is an eyesore when you come off 295," resident Bill Kidd said.
Efforts to contact Vanco and its attorneys were unsuccessful.
They've been given 30 days to clear the lot or they could face fines of $500 a day.
new jersey, hurricane sandy, burlington county, local/state, nora muchanic
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 23 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep 40 min ago
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash