SEPTA police shoot knife-wielding man at 69th Street Terminal
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- SEPTA police shot a knife-wielding man at the 69th Street Terminal in Upper Darby Wednesday night.
The incident happened inside the terminal at 69th and Market streets around 8:00 p.m.
Upper Darby police say a seemingly deranged man began waving a knife.
Upper Darby Police Superintendant Mike Chitwood tells Action News the man cam towards the police.
Chitwood said officers told the man numerous times to drop the knife.
"He doesn't drop the knife. Officers fire," Chitwood said.
"All of a sudden I see somebody pull a knife out and a cop pulled his gun out and shot him and I ran out the door," witness Dillon Jacob said.
Chitwood says the two SEPTA officers fired at least four shots, hitting the suspect.
According to police, the man was struck once in the shoulder and once in the side.
He was taken to Delaware County Memorial Hospital where he is being treated for his wounds.
The two officers were taken to Upper Darby police headquarters for questioning.
The terminal was shut down as investigators began collecting evidence and processing the crime scene.
SEPTA riders had to board buses to get onward to their destination.
An inconvenience, but fortunately, none was injured during the officer involved shooting.
"Based on what I've seen, looks like a clean shooting and may even be suicide by cop type thing," Chitwood said.
The suspect's name has not been released.
delaware county, pennsylvania, SEPTA, shooting, local/state
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony 50 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 33 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
35 min ago