West Chester University student dies from bacterial meningitis
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - February 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- West Chester University is reeling from the news that a student has died from bacterial meningitis.
The campus was quiet today, especially outside the Swope Music Building.
Students are mourning the loss of 20-year-old Sean Casey, a third-year honors student in West Chester's College of Visual and Performing Arts.
"Sean was an extremely talented musician. He was also somebody who could brighten your day whenever you stood next to him," friend Kim Bydlon said.
Sean was confirmed to have bacterial meningitis on Tuesday. He died overnight.
"We're all in kind of a state of shock," Sean's friend Ben said.
School officials say they are working with the Chester County Health Department to identify other students who may have been exposed.
"Those students were contacted and offered prophylactic antibiotics," West Chester University spokeswoman Pam Sheridan said.
Sean visited Penn State over the weekend so health officials there are doing the same.
Bacterial meningitis is not highly contagious, but it can be spread through saliva or mucus and passed by sneezing, kissing, or sharing drinks or utensils.
Students at West Chester University say they are not scared they'll get sick, they just miss their friend.
"His amazing, beautiful personality, the laughs that you'd know you'd get from him and no one else," Ben said.
Students held a vigil for Sean on Thursday evening.
In a university release sent to students on Thursday, Casey was described as, "Quite active in campus life as a member of the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Musical Fraternity, Honors Student Association, and was a well-respected student leader working in the Sykes Union Building as a Student Director."
When the university first learned of Casey's illness, administrators on Tuesday sent out an email informing students.LINK: More information on bacterial meningitis from the CDC.
west chester, chester county, pennsylvania, meningitis, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Deadly hit and run suspect van caught on camera 2 min ago
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
25 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
52 min ago