Del. man sentenced to 50 years for elderly assault
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - February 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A New Castle man who beat and robbed an 83-year-old man has been sentenced to 50 years in prison.
Thirty-two-year-old Marsaan Newman of New Castle pleaded guilty to robbery and second-degree assault in September. He was sentenced Friday.
The News Journal of Wilmington reports that Newman had at least three convictions for violent crimes and qualified for habitual offender status.
Prosecutors say on Feb. 23, Newman hit the victim in the head with an unknown object, then rolled him over to take his wallet and keys.
The crime was caught on surveillance video.
Information from: The News Journal of Wilmington, Del.
delaware, assault, robbery, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 41 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apts.
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 6 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer 10 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
41 min ago