Del. man sentenced to 50 years for elderly assault
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - February 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A New Castle man who beat and robbed an 83-year-old man has been sentenced to 50 years in prison.
Thirty-two-year-old Marsaan Newman of New Castle pleaded guilty to robbery and second-degree assault in September. He was sentenced Friday.
The News Journal of Wilmington reports that Newman had at least three convictions for violent crimes and qualified for habitual offender status.
Prosecutors say on Feb. 23, Newman hit the victim in the head with an unknown object, then rolled him over to take his wallet and keys.
The crime was caught on surveillance video.
Information from: The News Journal of Wilmington, Del.
delaware, assault, robbery, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 16 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 56 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ