Crimefighters: Who killed Stephen Casey?
COBBS CREEK - February 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Nearly three months after a young man was shot and killed in West Philadelphia, his family is asking for help in getting answers.
The family of 23-year-old Stephen Casey says he was a good man who was just trying to make a good life.
"He never gave me one minute of trouble," said Dolores Casey, grandmother.
"He was a pretty good kid, he never got into any kind of trouble," said Linda Myers, cousin.
Known to his family as "Sonny", he had just left his job at a nursing home on Wednesday September 26th, when the unthinkable happened.
"I just couldn't believe it because that's never been the type of person that he was," said Myers.
At about 3:00 p.m. police were called to St. Cyprian Church at Cobbs Creek Parkway and Cedar Avenue in West Philadelphia.
Stephen was found shot multiple times inside a black Mercury Grand Marquis.
He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he died a short time later.
Stephen's grandmother doesn't believe he was the intended victim.
"We as a family feel whoever shot him wasn't there for him," said Casey.
A second man was also shot but was expected to fully recover.
As investigators try to piece together what happened and why, Stephen's family is asking for the public's help.
"That's the hardest thing about this whole situation, somebody knows something but nobody's saying anything," said Myers.
"I ask why God why did this happen to him but that's not for us to know. I just know that he's gone and we're going to miss him," said Casey.
The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $1,000 reward and the City of Philadelphia is offering up to $20,000 for any information that leads to an arrest and conviction.
You can make an anonymous call to the hotline at 215-546-TIPS or the Police Tip Line at 215-686-TIPS.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, homicide, local/state, rick williams
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 11 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 51 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ