Phila. police investigate 2 alleged college sex assaults
WEST PHILADELPHIA - February 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating two alleged sexual assaults involving female college students.
Around 7:30 Sunday evening, only Action News was there as investigators from the Special Victims Unit entered a home on the 400 block of North 34th Street in Powelton.
Male students from Drexel University live inside.
Sources tell Action News that police stopped by after two 19-year-old women reported that they were sexually assaulted at the home overnight.
One of the victims is a University of Pennsylvania student and the other from George Washington University.
Sources say the girls, who don't know each other, told authorities that they were at the house for a birthday party. Both say they were sexually assaulted in separate rooms.
According to Action News sources, one victim went to Jefferson Hospital where a rape kit was performed.
The other victim was checked out at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Hospital staff reported the alleged sexual assaults to police.
When Action News knocked on the door of the home, a housemate walked downstairs but would not open the door, saying he was told by detectives not to talk.
Meanwhile, authorities say the investigation remains in the preliminary stages.
philadelphia, sex assault, local/state
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash in Collingdale 7 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?