Phila. police investigate 2 alleged college sex assaults
WEST PHILADELPHIA - February 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating two alleged sexual assaults involving female college students.
Around 7:30 Sunday evening, only Action News was there as investigators from the Special Victims Unit entered a home on the 400 block of North 34th Street in Powelton.
Male students from Drexel University live inside.
Sources tell Action News that police stopped by after two 19-year-old women reported that they were sexually assaulted at the home overnight.
One of the victims is a University of Pennsylvania student and the other from George Washington University.
Sources say the girls, who don't know each other, told authorities that they were at the house for a birthday party. Both say they were sexually assaulted in separate rooms.
According to Action News sources, one victim went to Jefferson Hospital where a rape kit was performed.
The other victim was checked out at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Hospital staff reported the alleged sexual assaults to police.
When Action News knocked on the door of the home, a housemate walked downstairs but would not open the door, saying he was told by detectives not to talk.
Meanwhile, authorities say the investigation remains in the preliminary stages.
philadelphia, sex assault, local/state
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos