Phila. police investigate 2 alleged college sex assaults
WEST PHILADELPHIA - February 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating two alleged sexual assaults involving female college students.
Around 7:30 Sunday evening, only Action News was there as investigators from the Special Victims Unit entered a home on the 400 block of North 34th Street in Powelton.
Male students from Drexel University live inside.
Sources tell Action News that police stopped by after two 19-year-old women reported that they were sexually assaulted at the home overnight.
One of the victims is a University of Pennsylvania student and the other from George Washington University.
Sources say the girls, who don't know each other, told authorities that they were at the house for a birthday party. Both say they were sexually assaulted in separate rooms.
According to Action News sources, one victim went to Jefferson Hospital where a rape kit was performed.
The other victim was checked out at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Hospital staff reported the alleged sexual assaults to police.
When Action News knocked on the door of the home, a housemate walked downstairs but would not open the door, saying he was told by detectives not to talk.
Meanwhile, authorities say the investigation remains in the preliminary stages.
philadelphia, sex assault, local/state
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 1 min ago
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire 12 min ago
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting