Biden: Sense of urgency over gun control measures
PHILADELPHIA - February 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Vice President Joe Biden says there's a real sense of urgency from lawmakers and police about enacting gun control measures.
Biden was joined Monday at Girard College by law enforcement officials, U.S. Deputy Attorney General James Cole and Democratic members of Pennsylvania's congressional delegation.
Biden says things like universal background checks for gun purchases have widespread support.
The Obama administration is pushing for new gun-control measures in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14.
Proposals include a new ban on assault weapons, a ban on high-capacity magazines carrying more than 10 rounds of ammunition, and background checks for all gun sales.
Federal lawmakers joining Biden included Reps. Bob Brady, Chaka Fattah and Allyson Schwartz, and Sen. Bob Casey.
vice president joe biden, philadelphia, guns, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges 33 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket 53 min ago
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
1 min ago
- Nelson Mandela lies in state in Pretoria,...
52 min ago