Biden: Sense of urgency over gun control measures
PHILADELPHIA - February 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Vice President Joe Biden says there's a real sense of urgency from lawmakers and police about enacting gun control measures.
Biden was joined Monday at Girard College by law enforcement officials, U.S. Deputy Attorney General James Cole and Democratic members of Pennsylvania's congressional delegation.
Biden says things like universal background checks for gun purchases have widespread support.
The Obama administration is pushing for new gun-control measures in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14.
Proposals include a new ban on assault weapons, a ban on high-capacity magazines carrying more than 10 rounds of ammunition, and background checks for all gun sales.
Federal lawmakers joining Biden included Reps. Bob Brady, Chaka Fattah and Allyson Schwartz, and Sen. Bob Casey.
vice president joe biden, philadelphia, guns, local/state
- Boy killed in Chester accident ID'd
- Unsettled to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman pulled from Phila. collapse loses both legs
- Committee sets hearings on demolitions in Phila.
- Video: Dash cam view of Lindenwold school bus crash
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Monday's storms
- Multi-alarm fire at titanium plant in Berks
- Girl, 4, dies after crash that killed father
- Burlington taxi driver death ruled homicide, victim ID'd
- Photos: 7 arrests in Phila. prostitution cases
- Automatic renewal contracts
- Tracy ties it in 9th, but Phils win in bottom half