Former aide to Newark mayor to be sentenced
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - February 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A former aide to Newark Mayor Cory Booker is about to learn his punishment for a conspiracy conviction.
Former deputy mayor Ron Salahuddin was convicted last year of conspiracy to commit extortion but cleared of other counts. Authorities say he used his position to steer demolition contracts illegally to a wrecking company, which would subcontract some work to a firm with financial ties to him.
Booker testified at Salahuddin's trial, saying he did not know about a business relationship between his aide and the subcontractor.
The sentencing will take place in U.S. District Court in Trenton Monday.
new jersey, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif. 34 min ago
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 50 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan...
58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
51 min ago