40-80 years in jail for Chester Co. love triangle killer
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - February 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Chester County man who admitted killing his lover's husband was formally sentenced to 40 to 80 years in state prison Monday.
22-year-old Steven Shappell apologized in court to the family of Kevin Mengel, Jr., the man Shappell bludgeoned to death with a shovel back in 2010.
Last week, Mengel's widow, 37-year-old Morgan Mengel, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder charges on would have been the opening day of her trial.
She admitted to convincing her lover, Shappell, to kill Kevin Mengel.
Shappell was an employee of the Mengels' landscaping business.
The break in the case came when police discovered text message conversations between Morgan Mengel and Shappell talking about the murder.
Shappell pleaded guilty to murder in December and was cooperating with the investigation.
After her guilty plea last week, Morgan Mengel was sentenced to life in prison with no chance for parole.
pennsylvania, chester county, homicide, local/state
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 2 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 19 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 12 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River 42 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
19 min ago