40-80 years in jail for Chester Co. love triangle killer
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - February 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Chester County man who admitted killing his lover's husband was formally sentenced to 40 to 80 years in state prison Monday.
22-year-old Steven Shappell apologized in court to the family of Kevin Mengel, Jr., the man Shappell bludgeoned to death with a shovel back in 2010.
Last week, Mengel's widow, 37-year-old Morgan Mengel, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder charges on would have been the opening day of her trial.
She admitted to convincing her lover, Shappell, to kill Kevin Mengel.
Shappell was an employee of the Mengels' landscaping business.
The break in the case came when police discovered text message conversations between Morgan Mengel and Shappell talking about the murder.
Shappell pleaded guilty to murder in December and was cooperating with the investigation.
After her guilty plea last week, Morgan Mengel was sentenced to life in prison with no chance for parole.
pennsylvania, chester county, homicide, local/state
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports 1 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas package theft
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool
- Freebie Friday
- Photos: East Passyunk Avenue Tree Lighting Party