NJ teachers, principal plead guilty in student sex case
CAMDEN, N.J. - February 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Three people learned their punishment today in connection with a sex scandal that rocked a South Jersey high school.
Triton High School teachers Jeff Logandro and Dan Michielli, along with high school principal Catherine DePaul, signed onto a plea deal. It's a plea package that could prevent all three from ever stepping foot in a prison.
Logandro was the first to plead guilty to third degree official misconduct for having an inappropriate relationship with a student at the school during the 2011 to 2012 school year. Fellow former Triton teacher Dan Michielli pleaded guilty to the same offense. As part of the plea deal, both men must serve 30 days either in a Camden County correctional facility or through a correctional program like house arrest.
Through her attorney, former Triton High School Principal Catherine DePaul made brief remarks of regret after pleading guilty to a disorderly persons offense for failing to immediately report known child sex abuse within her high school. DePaul faces one year probation.
Some may think that these three school officials received light sentences. Camden County prosecutor Warren Faulk says the courts are satisfied.
"I think we've accomplished our purpose and we have discussed this with the victim's and their families," Faulk said. "Our purpose is to see that they do not hold public office in the future, that they are not teachers in our public school system."
The third teacher charged in this child sex abuse scandal, Nick Martinelli, was not in court on Monday. His case, as well as that of an administrator, are moving closer to trial.
new jersey, 6at4, child sex assault, education, local/state, jennifer joyce
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 57 min ago
- Collapse committee to hold first meeting today 35 min ago
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE 30 min ago
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7
- Special investigative committee building...
36 min ago