NJ teachers, principal plead guilty in student sex case
CAMDEN, N.J. - February 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Three people learned their punishment today in connection with a sex scandal that rocked a South Jersey high school.
Triton High School teachers Jeff Logandro and Dan Michielli, along with high school principal Catherine DePaul, signed onto a plea deal. It's a plea package that could prevent all three from ever stepping foot in a prison.
Logandro was the first to plead guilty to third degree official misconduct for having an inappropriate relationship with a student at the school during the 2011 to 2012 school year. Fellow former Triton teacher Dan Michielli pleaded guilty to the same offense. As part of the plea deal, both men must serve 30 days either in a Camden County correctional facility or through a correctional program like house arrest.
Through her attorney, former Triton High School Principal Catherine DePaul made brief remarks of regret after pleading guilty to a disorderly persons offense for failing to immediately report known child sex abuse within her high school. DePaul faces one year probation.
Some may think that these three school officials received light sentences. Camden County prosecutor Warren Faulk says the courts are satisfied.
"I think we've accomplished our purpose and we have discussed this with the victim's and their families," Faulk said. "Our purpose is to see that they do not hold public office in the future, that they are not teachers in our public school system."
The third teacher charged in this child sex abuse scandal, Nick Martinelli, was not in court on Monday. His case, as well as that of an administrator, are moving closer to trial.
new jersey, 6at4, child sex assault, education, local/state, jennifer joyce
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 35 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Bordentown, N.J. 55 min ago
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
55 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos