Wife charged with killing fmr. Penn basketball star
NETHER PROVIDENCE, Pa. - February 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a former University of Pennsylvania basketball player has been fatally stabbed and his wife is charged with his murder.
Court records show 53-year-old Matthew White was asleep in bed when he was stabbed at his home in Media, Pa. early Monday.
Investigators say his wife, Maria Rey Garcia-Pellon, is charged with first-degree murder and is being held in Delaware County jail. Police say Garcia-Pellon went to the home of a friend afterward and told her she had found her husband watching pornography.
Garcia-Pellon allegedly told police that she saw him looking at pictures of young girls on their computer and she killed him to protect young girls.
Prosecutors have seized that computer to verify her claim.
In 1979, White was the starting center on the Penn team that made it to the Final Four of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. He was drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers and also played in Europe.
It wasn't immediately clear if Garcia-Pellon had an attorney.
pennsylvania, delaware county, stabbing, homicide, local/state
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Turning Milder 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee 21 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 33 min ago
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 29 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks...
29 min ago
- Water pressure problems plague Trenton
55 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos