Wife charged with killing fmr. Penn basketball star
NETHER PROVIDENCE, Pa. - February 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a former University of Pennsylvania basketball player has been fatally stabbed and his wife is charged with his murder.
Court records show 53-year-old Matthew White was asleep in bed when he was stabbed at his home in Media, Pa. early Monday.
Investigators say his wife, Maria Rey Garcia-Pellon, is charged with first-degree murder and is being held in Delaware County jail. Police say Garcia-Pellon went to the home of a friend afterward and told her she had found her husband watching pornography.
Garcia-Pellon allegedly told police that she saw him looking at pictures of young girls on their computer and she killed him to protect young girls.
Prosecutors have seized that computer to verify her claim.
In 1979, White was the starting center on the Penn team that made it to the Final Four of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. He was drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers and also played in Europe.
It wasn't immediately clear if Garcia-Pellon had an attorney.
pennsylvania, delaware county, stabbing, homicide, local/state
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Winds Ease Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 17 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts