Wife charged with killing fmr. Penn basketball star
NETHER PROVIDENCE, Pa. - February 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a former University of Pennsylvania basketball player has been fatally stabbed and his wife is charged with his murder.
Court records show 53-year-old Matthew White was asleep in bed when he was stabbed at his home in Media, Pa. early Monday.
Investigators say his wife, Maria Rey Garcia-Pellon, is charged with first-degree murder and is being held in Delaware County jail. Police say Garcia-Pellon went to the home of a friend afterward and told her she had found her husband watching pornography.
Garcia-Pellon allegedly told police that she saw him looking at pictures of young girls on their computer and she killed him to protect young girls.
Prosecutors have seized that computer to verify her claim.
In 1979, White was the starting center on the Penn team that made it to the Final Four of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. He was drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers and also played in Europe.
It wasn't immediately clear if Garcia-Pellon had an attorney.
pennsylvania, delaware county, stabbing, homicide, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens to distant waters 12 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 18 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 16 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos