Wife charged with killing fmr. Penn basketball star
NETHER PROVIDENCE, Pa. - February 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a former University of Pennsylvania basketball player has been fatally stabbed and his wife is charged with his murder.
Court records show 53-year-old Matthew White was asleep in bed when he was stabbed at his home in Media, Pa. early Monday.
Investigators say his wife, Maria Rey Garcia-Pellon, is charged with first-degree murder and is being held in Delaware County jail. Police say Garcia-Pellon went to the home of a friend afterward and told her she had found her husband watching pornography.
Garcia-Pellon allegedly told police that she saw him looking at pictures of young girls on their computer and she killed him to protect young girls.
Prosecutors have seized that computer to verify her claim.
In 1979, White was the starting center on the Penn team that made it to the Final Four of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. He was drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers and also played in Europe.
It wasn't immediately clear if Garcia-Pellon had an attorney.
pennsylvania, delaware county, stabbing, homicide, local/state
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 54 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
58 min ago