Driver in fatal Bensalem hit-and-run in custody; victim identified
BENSALEM, Pa. - February 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say the driver who struck and killed a 71-year-old man in Bensalem early Tuesday has turned himself in.
40-year-old Mario Rodriguez-Morales of the 2900 block of Knights Road in Bensalem is being charged with causing an accident involving death, involuntary manslaughter, and other offenses.
71-year-old Madanago Bakthavatchalu of the 2500 block of Knights Road was struck and killed around 6:00 a.m. Tuesday in Bensalem.
Police say he was walking on Knights Road just north of Dunksferry Road when he was hit and killed by a light colored, possibly extended cab, pickup truck.
Police say the striking vehicle pushed his body down the street.
Surveillance cameras at a nearby gas station captured the accident. In the video, it appears that the truck never even slowed down.
Fred Harran, Director of Public Safety for Bensalem Township, told Action News, "It looks like this poor man was hit on the shoulder of the roadway. Looks like the truck swerved back into the roadway as it fled the scene."
Authorities had been asking for the public's help finding the driver and the truck, which they thought had front end damage on the passenger side.
"We're hoping someone saw something. At 6:00 in the morning there are still cars on the road," Harran said.
bensalem, bucks county, pennsylvania, body found, 6at4, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos