Driver in fatal Bensalem hit-and-run in custody; victim identified
BENSALEM, Pa. - February 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say the driver who struck and killed a 71-year-old man in Bensalem early Tuesday has turned himself in.
40-year-old Mario Rodriguez-Morales of the 2900 block of Knights Road in Bensalem is being charged with causing an accident involving death, involuntary manslaughter, and other offenses.
71-year-old Madanago Bakthavatchalu of the 2500 block of Knights Road was struck and killed around 6:00 a.m. Tuesday in Bensalem.
Police say he was walking on Knights Road just north of Dunksferry Road when he was hit and killed by a light colored, possibly extended cab, pickup truck.
Police say the striking vehicle pushed his body down the street.
Surveillance cameras at a nearby gas station captured the accident. In the video, it appears that the truck never even slowed down.
Fred Harran, Director of Public Safety for Bensalem Township, told Action News, "It looks like this poor man was hit on the shoulder of the roadway. Looks like the truck swerved back into the roadway as it fled the scene."
Authorities had been asking for the public's help finding the driver and the truck, which they thought had front end damage on the passenger side.
"We're hoping someone saw something. At 6:00 in the morning there are still cars on the road," Harran said.
bensalem, bucks county, pennsylvania, body found, 6at4, local/state
- Snow today, heavy at times 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
- Video: Katherine Scott on snow in Delaware
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash 59 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Snow today, heavy at times
45 min ago