New bishop installed for Camden diocese
CAMDEN - February 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hundreds have gathered in a southern New Jersey church to witness the installation of Dennis Sullivan as the bishop of Camden's Roman Catholic Diocese.
Among those attending Tuesday's ceremony at St. Agnes Church in Gloucester Township were high-ranking church officials from all six of New Jersey's dioceses, including Newark Archbishop John Joseph Myers. Others on hand included New York's Cardinal Timothy Dolan and Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput.
The 67-year-old Sullivan previously served as vicar general of the New York archdiocese. He succeeds Joseph Galante as leader of the Camden diocese, which serves approximately 475,000 Catholics in Cape May, Atlantic, Cumberland, Salem, Gloucester and Camden counties.
The 74-year-old Galante announced his intent to resign in January 2012, citing ongoing dialysis treatments and several other health issues.
new jersey, camden, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 49 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ