New bishop installed for Camden diocese
CAMDEN - February 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hundreds have gathered in a southern New Jersey church to witness the installation of Dennis Sullivan as the bishop of Camden's Roman Catholic Diocese.
Among those attending Tuesday's ceremony at St. Agnes Church in Gloucester Township were high-ranking church officials from all six of New Jersey's dioceses, including Newark Archbishop John Joseph Myers. Others on hand included New York's Cardinal Timothy Dolan and Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput.
The 67-year-old Sullivan previously served as vicar general of the New York archdiocese. He succeeds Joseph Galante as leader of the Camden diocese, which serves approximately 475,000 Catholics in Cape May, Atlantic, Cumberland, Salem, Gloucester and Camden counties.
The 74-year-old Galante announced his intent to resign in January 2012, citing ongoing dialysis treatments and several other health issues.
new jersey, camden, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apartments 21 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
18 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
21 min ago