New bishop installed for Camden diocese
CAMDEN - February 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Hundreds have gathered in a southern New Jersey church to witness the installation of Dennis Sullivan as the bishop of Camden's Roman Catholic Diocese.
Among those attending Tuesday's ceremony at St. Agnes Church in Gloucester Township were high-ranking church officials from all six of New Jersey's dioceses, including Newark Archbishop John Joseph Myers. Others on hand included New York's Cardinal Timothy Dolan and Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput.
The 67-year-old Sullivan previously served as vicar general of the New York archdiocese. He succeeds Joseph Galante as leader of the Camden diocese, which serves approximately 475,000 Catholics in Cape May, Atlantic, Cumberland, Salem, Gloucester and Camden counties.
The 74-year-old Galante announced his intent to resign in January 2012, citing ongoing dialysis treatments and several other health issues.
new jersey, camden, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 36 min ago
- Warmer Weekend 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway 38 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands 42 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 44 min ago
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield 19 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested 40 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova...
36 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
38 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for...
42 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
10 min ago