Police call teen's death at Pa. fire a homicide
POTTSTOWN, Pa. - Pa. - February 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials are investigating a homicide at the scene of an apartment fire in Chester County Tuesday night.
The incident happened around 7:00 p.m. at the Hanover Garden Apartments.
Investigators say crews were responding to a fire that was quickly brought under control when a body was found.
They also discovered blood that was smeared on the wall of the staircase leading to the second-story apartment.
Authorities say the victim has been identified as 17-year-old Kevin Allen, a high school junior from Norristown, Pennsylvania.
"In this case the murderer made some mistakes, so we have some leads to work on," said Chester County D.A. Tom Hogan. When asked if Allen was targeted, Hogan said "It does not appear to be a random attack."
The apartment belongs to the victim's father, who shared parental custody of the 17-year-old with the boy's mother, who lives in Norristown. Allen's father was not at home at the time.
Hogan said it was not unusual for Allen to visit his dad.
"They're devastated that they lost a 17-year-old son," Hogan said of Allen's parents.
There was no word on exactly how Allen was killed. An autopsy is planned for late Wednesday.
North Coventry police and Chester Co. detectives are investigating. Anyone with information should contact them at (610) 323-8360 or (610) 692-5100.
fire, homicide, chester county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Damp and cooler. 48 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- No Triple Crown: Oxbow upsets Orb at Preakness
- Damp and cooler.
48 min ago